Back to School Braces Friendly Lunches!
How is everyone’s first few days of school going? Stuck on some “braces friendly” lunch ideas? Well we have some answers and helpful hints for you!
Foods to Avoid!
Foods that can stick to or damage your child’s braces should be avoided, such as;
· Soft, chewy, and sticky candy that can adhere to brackets and wires
· Cakes, cookies, brownies, or other sugar-loaded treats Nuts, hard candy, and popcorn
· Sodas, fruit juices, and similarly high-acid beverages
Foods that are mom and orthodontist approved!
To stay strong and healthy, your children’s teeth need a steady supply of calcium, phosphate, vitamin D, and other minerals and nutrients, which can be found in foods like;
· Chicken, turkey, and beef, especially in lunch-meat form, which is easier on your child’s braces.
· Milk, sugar-free yogurt, and other dairy products
· Fruits like bananas and peeled-apples
· Drink plenty of water.
Here are some other treats for meals-on-the-go:
- Banana slices, grape halves, and thinly cut (peeled) apples (dip them all in a bit of
lemon juice to keep them from browning)
- Canned peaches or pears, fruit cocktail and Mandarin orange slices
- Applesauce or any of the mixed fruit “sauces” in individual servings
- Thin carrot-curls made with a scraper, plus a small container of grated cheese or
hummus, with torn-up fresh pita bread for scooping
- Individual pudding and yogurt cups
Post Adjustment Lunches Ideas
After adjustment appointments, your child’s teeth may be especially sensitive. Sandwiches and other normally acceptable foods that require a lot of chewing should be avoided for the next day or two. Foods that require minimal chewing and discomfort include;
Though challenging, packing a lunch that agrees with your children’s braces and smiles is less difficult when you plan ahead. Please visit the links below for more ideas.
This website also contains a wealth of information on braces friendly recipes – check it out! http://metalmouthmedia.net/resources-3/resources/
We have “pinned” a few braces friendly recipes on our Pinterest page as well! http://pinterest.com/babyrojasortho/braces-friendly-recipes/